Saturday 15 November 2008

August - general update

For some reason I didn't take any photos during August, I think it's because I was so busy working at the allotment that I didn't think to take the camera. For at least a 6-week period I didn't buy ANY vegetables at all, and for a further month very few. Not bad at all for a first timer who started late in the season.

I invested in a strimmer and me and my sis cut back all the second half of the plot again, covering ourselves in wet weed strimmings! I re-glyphosated the paths too. Dad gave me eight dahlia plants which I planted in the bed near the shed. The sunflowers were doing really well near the shed too. In the middle of August, just when everything was doing so well, we went away on holiday for 20 days........

Upon our return I was horrified to find that the potatoes had got blight while we were away and the foliage was all black and slimy. I quickly cut it all back and bagged it before digging up all the tubers, which thankfully were lovely. I picked the last of the cauliflowers and blanched and froze them in florets.

No comments: